Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Side Dish - Eggplant Balls (from Andrea Marsello compliments of Dom DeLuise Cookbook/Logos International, Plainfield, NJ)

Here’s the recipe. Note that whenever I have made them, I seem to use lots more bread crumbs than the recipe calls for.  I noticed that in his book, DeLuise thanked Logos International, Plainfield, NJ for permission to use the recipe.  So use caution if your book goes outside the family. Note that the first time I made these, I did roll them like balls. The time I brought them to Aunt Julie’s, however, I had flattened the balls almost to pancake shape.  My husband seems to think it give more ‘surface’ which he prefers ... the crusty outside.  I did not use any kind of sauce or cheese sprinkled on them. I just put them in a tin foil roasting pan, covered them, brought them to Aunt Julie’s, put them out at room temp, and they disappeared.

“Father Orsini’s Eggplant Balls” From Dom DeLuise’ Eat This ... It’ll Make You Feel Better  “...one of the guests was Father Joseph Orsini, a warm-hearted priest who had grown up in the streets of Bayonne, New Jersey, and had written a cookbook called Papa Bear’s Favorite Italian Dishes.  (Orsini comes from orso --- Italian for bear.)  On the show, Father Orsini made, excuse the expression, eggplant balls that can be used in an antipasto or in place of meatballs on spaghetti. Despite my Italian upbringing, I had never heard about eggplant balls, but have cooked them happily many times since. I’m also proud to Call Father Orsini my friend. Bless me, Father, I could use it!” (Dom DeLuise)

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large eggplant, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon water
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup grated cheese
Olive oil
Marinara sauce, if desired
Grated mozzarella or Monterey Jack, if desired

In a large saucepan, heat oil and gently saute garlic until golden brown. Add diced eggplant, the tablespoon of water, and cover.  Reduce heat and gently steam until eggplant is very soft.In a mixing bowl, combine eggplant, bread crumbs, parsley, eggs, and cheese. Mix well and let stand 20 minutes. Form into balls and fry on all sides in olive oil
or:Place eggplant balls on a greased pan, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 325 degrees.  They can be covered with marinara sauce and sprinkled with grated mozzarella or Monterey Jack.
or:Drop them in spaghetti sause and serve in place of meatballs.
Thanks, Father!

1 comment:

  1. I've made this recipe many times and love it just as much each time. I discovered, quite by accident, that if you let the mixture sit covered in the refrigerator over night the mixture isn't as sticky and it makes better balls. I could eat these 'til the cows come home!

    ReplyDelete