Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Entree - Aunt Josie's Chuck Steak Pizzaiola (from Andrea Marsello)

Aunt Josie’s (Cottone) Chuck Steak Pizzaiola

This is one of my mother’s signature dishes; we think it’s delicious.  It has been a favorite of ours ever since our childhood.  It actually uses a less-expensive cut of meat, necessary for something that simmers like this does. My mom almost always makes it when my brother visits even if she doesn’t serve it; she packs it up and he takes it home with him.  It is also a favorite of Big Nick’s. When my mom was at my brother’s in Toms River, Big Nick requested that she make it which, of course, she did.  No family cookbook can be complete without this one.  Lately my mom has used jar sauce but the original that I grew up with did not.

Chuck Steak Pizzaiola

Chuck steak – trim excess fat
Cover with tomato sauce (like Del Monte)
Season with salt, pepper, oregano, and Romano or Parmesan cheese
Cover with foil.
Cook at 350 degrees for approximately 1 1/2 hours until very tender.

Optional: pour a can of peas (drained) around the meat during the last 1/2 hour of baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment