Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Entree-String Beans and Eggs (from Andrea Marsello)

This is a very old recipe, this time one of my mom’s (Aunt Jo Cottone) which I’m sure she got from my grandmother. I remember eating this as far back as when I was 4 or 5 years old. It was often a Friday night meal (meatless Fridays when I was a kid).  My mom still makes it; she made it just this past week, and she always makes extra for me. I love it.

String Beans & Eggs
Saute some garlic in 1/4 cup oil until light brown.
Add a small can of tomato paste and stir until it darkens.
Add 4-5 paste cans of water
Add 1 1/2 lbs string beans
Add 1/2 tsp pepper and 1 TBSP salt
Bring to boil; lower flame and cook for about 1 hour.

While beans/sauce are cooking, hard boil 1 – 2 eggs per serving.  Slice with an egg slicer and fan out in bottom of each person’s bowl.
Spoon string beans and sauce over egg.
Serve with crusty bread for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment