Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Entree - Grandma Luisa's Lemon Chicken (from Judy Cottone)

Lemon Chicken
>
5 or 6 chicken thighs and/or legs ( for the newbies in the kitchen remember to wash chicken in salt water and pat it dry).
3 tbsps butter
2 or 3 cloves garlic - minced
salt
olive oil
black pepper
oregano
lemon juice (about 2 tbsps)

Melt the butter and brush on chicken pieces
Roast at 350 - 375 for 1/2 hour or until brown and crispy and remember to flip chicken on the other side to brown that too.

In a medium sized serving bowl:
Put garlic in the bottom of the bowl
Cover the garlic with salt
Use the back of a spoon to mash the salt & garlic together
Add about an inch of olive oil
Add black pepper (1 tsp), oregano (1 - 2 tsps) & lemon juice
Mix together
Add about 1 1/2 cups water & mix

After chicken has roasted for 1/2 hour, pour the mixture over the top
Roast for at least another 1/2 hour until the skin is crispy
Important - at least every 10 minutes, spoon the juice over the tops of the chicken

When chicken is done, remove it from the pan
Pour the juice into a gravy separator & let sit until the oil rises to the top
Pour the the bottom juice out into a bowl for dunking

1 comment:

  1. It looks like my mom and Aunt Helen got the same cooking lesson from Grandma in Blenheim because this is exactly how my mom makes this dish, right down to smashing the garlic with salt on it. My mom used to use the back of a knife. I have never met anyone who doesn't love chicken prepared like this.

    My mom cuts up potatoes and cooks them right in with the chicken; now she also adds sweet potatoes like I do. You might want to increase the ingredients a bit if adding potatoes. When there is plenty of juice, my husband can go through half a loaf of Italian bread ... dunking is awesome! My kids salivate when they know that my mom or I have this on the menu.

    ReplyDelete